Paula R. Howard, MS, MPH, MT(ASCP)SBB
Expiration Date: 12/31/2024
Section A quiz (Chapters 1-8):
Part I: Quality and Safety Issues
1. Quality Assurance and Regulation of the Blood Industry: Safety Issues in the Blood Bank
Part II: Foundations: Basic Sciences and Reagents
2. Immunology: Basic Principles and Applications in the Blood Bank
3. Blood Banking Reagents: Overview and Applications
4. Genetic Principles in Blood Banking
Part III: Overview of the Major Blood Groups
5. ABO and H Blood Group Systems and Secretor Status
6. Rh Blood Group System
7. Other Red Cell Blood Group Systems, Human Leukocyte Antigens, and Platelet Antigens
Part IV: Essentials of Pretransfusion Testing
8. Antibody Detection and Identification
Section B quiz (Chapters 9-16):
9. Compatibility Testing
10. Blood Bank Automation for Transfusion Services
Part V: Clinical Considerations in Immunohematology
11. Adverse Complications of Transfusions
12. Hemolytic Disease of the Fetus and Newborn
Part VI: Blood Collecting and Testing
13. Donor Selection and Phlebotomy
14. Testing of Donor Blood
Part VII: Blood Component Preparation and Transfusion Therapy
15. Blood Component Preparation and Therapy
16. Transfusion Therapy in Selected Patients
Appendix A: Answers to Study Questions
Basic and Applied Concepts of Blood Banking and Transfusion Practices is intended for students in medical laboratory science programs and laboratory professionals who wish to refresh and update their knowledge in blood banking as well as the immunological, genetic, and molecular biology principles that support this specialty.
The fifth edition includes updates in blood banking. Donor criteria and testing, including current donor restrictions, infectious disease testing methods, and current requirements for viral marker testing are the status quo as of this publication.
New and expanded topics in this edition include molecular techniques applying to blood banking, pathogen inactivation methods and accompanying blood products, and a new section on hemostasis and accompanying disorders.
There are many illustrations and tables designed to reinforce and summarize the essential information found in each chapter.
Laboratory professionals will find this text a great addition to their reference resources.