Clinical Companion for Medical-Surgical Nursing, 7th Edition
Winkelman, RN, PhD, CCRN, ACNP
670 plus 10 appendixes and index
Expiration Date: 12/31/2018
This program is pre-approved by the Commission for Case Manager Certification (CCMC) to provide continuing education credit to Certified Case Managers (CCMs).
You can purchase this course as one 34 hour quiz or as two 17 contact hour quizzes.
The book is out of print but you can purchase used copies on Amazon.
Clinical Companion for Medical-Surgical Nursing: Patient-Centered Collaborative Care, Seventh Edition is a guide to common medical-surgical conditions and their management.
- A-Z synopses of 248 diseases and disorders, along with related collaborative care. Includes new content on H1N1 influenza and sickle cell disease.
- Nursing Safety Priority! gives cues to one of three types of situations and details essential nursing actions to promote effective care: (1) Action Alert--discusses an activity or intervention that promotes optimal outcomes;(2) Critical Rescue --signals a need for immediate attention and action to prevent a critical outcome;(3) Drug Alert--informs you about potential adverse drug reactions and strategies for administering and monitoring patient responses to drugs that have the potential to harm hospitalized patients.
- Special Considerations highlights call your attention to significant aspects of nursing care, such as Genetic/Genomic Considerations, Considerations for Older Adults, Women's Health Considerations, and Cultural Awareness.
- National Patient Safety Goals (NPSG) icons help you provide safe and effective care by highlighting safety information identified in The Joint Commission's National Patient Safety Goals.
- A-Z thumb tabs along the edges of the pages facilitate quick access to clinical information.
- 10 quick-reference appendixes provide quick reference coverage of common or important clinical topics, including Guide to Head-to-Toe Physical Assessment of Adults, Laboratory Values, Chemical and Biological Agents of Terrorism, Discharge Planning, and Communication Quick Reference for Spanish-Speaking Patients.
Examples of some of the topics covered:
abscess, acidosis, acute respiratory distress syndrome, adrenal insufficiency, allergy, amputation, anaphylaxis, anemia, aortic aneurysm, asthma, bone marrow transplant, burns, cancer, cardiomyopathy, COPD, cirrhosis, corneal abrasion and ulceration, coronary artery disease, Crohn's disease, cystic fibrosis, cystitis, dehydration, dementia, diabetes insipidus, and so on down the alphabet!
Pilot Study Nurse Responses
When asked about the sixth edition, Pilot Study nurses responded: "Loved it." "This is an excellent reference book that I can put to use in my work. It is the kind of reference I have wanted for years because it is disease-specific." "It is well organized. I can see it being in the reference area of many hospital floors. I learned a lot!" "Really appreciate the format—ease of locating information about topics—this one I'll keep with me in my office for quick reference."